Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Blog 8: Response to the Extreme DWI Law

This blog is in response to a fellow student (Lone Star Showdown).  It details a new law that has gone into effect in Texas called the Extreme DWI Law.  This article gives some facts about the law as does my fellow student.


Basically, the new law states that anyone that takes a breathalyzer and blows a .15 or higher, will be subjected to the terms of the new law.  The punishment for an individual convicted could be a year in jail and a $4,000 fine -- double the penalty for a regular DWI.

I agree with my classmate that this is really a no-brainer to support.  I don't see any negative consequences for the new law.  However, my question is, will this actually impact the number of intoxicated drivers on our roads?  Does the new law provide any disincentive to intoxicated drivers over what current laws already provide?  Probably not.  If someone is okay with driving drunk at a level of .14, another 100th of a percent won't stop them.

I do think this is a good form of punishment if the person is caught driving this intoxicated.  But I'm assuming the law was meant to be a deterrent.  One problem with that is, how many people actually know about this law?  I can tell you that I didn't before reading this blog.  How effective can the law be if 50% of the population doesn't know about it?

In summary, I'll just say I agree with my classmate that anyone driving at a level of .15 does deserve an extra penalty so that hopefully it will keep them from repeating in the future.  I just wish there was a better method to spread the word and hopefully discourage people from getting behind the wheel if they are EXTREMEly drunk (or of course just a little drunk).

No comments:

Post a Comment